Bruce is the author and creator of over 40 books, on geography, music, business, publishing, children’s and coloring. He also practices Tai Chi and hula hoops when he gets a chance.
Looking for a speaker or guest to interview, Bruce speaks on self-publishing and creating products. Reach out and contact me on Facebook or give a call 781-492-0742.
Come over and join the How to Publish Your Book Facebook Group, we have a great group of authors publishing books every day. https://www.facebook.com/groups/HowToPublishYourBook/
takes you through the book publishing process from beginning to end. It answers your questions and shows you how to publish your book.
• Kindle version on Amazon
Click here to visit my Amazon Author Central Page and see all my books,
Discover Your Possibilities
I talk to lots of people about their businesses, their books, and their products. I love sharing ideas and digging out how you can turn your life, experiences, and knowledge into a product or a book, something you can sell to get things started. I have been doing it for a long time. In fact, if you know me, I have a hard time turning it off.
Our conversations focus on what you do, what you know, what resources you have, what you have been pushing out to the world. Then how you can combine it together and build something new. Something that you can sell or use to advance your business forward.
In these conversations, I generally give you a series of resources that you can use to bring these ideas to life. You will be able to create a test product and get started and based on that bigger and better products. Below are some of the tools that I usually talk about to get things started.
Sites to Host Products
• Gumroad.com, fantastic for hosting and selling a simple product on your website. Gumroad is like an electronic bucket that you can upload several files to and sell them on your website. Gumroad handles the e-commerce stuff and downloading product. Learn to sell a couple of PDFs, a few videos, a small course or product. I love this site, it is fantastic for idea sketching and for selling. I have about 30 products on this site. https://gumroad.com
You can read more about Gumroad.com in this Medium article. they are fantastic
Here is a good example of how I turned my latest book into a PDF download product, https://gumroad.com/l/COtvE
• Teachable.com. Ok, you want to go a little bigger and create an online course with multiple videos and PDFs. Gumroad is fantastic but doesn't handle the bigger stuff as well as a site like Teachable.com can. https://teachable.com/
• Kajabi.com. This is a big-time site. It has all that Teachable has, but also has email management, landing pages, the Jeff Walker Product Launch four video method and lots more. It is more expensive but can handle pretty much anything you want to do. https://kajabi.com
If you are starting out, begin with Gumroad.com and make a simple product and grow. Making a product is very easy but start small. The goal is to make one $. Then grow to $100 and then $1,000 and beyond
• Google Blogger Blogs. The world is focused these days on social media, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Linkedin, and Twitter. And those are all good. But we all need a home online to host and display our products. Some simple, inexpensive or free tool. I love Google's Blogger platform. We are on it right now. It is free, stable, secure, and gives you just enough to get started. You can do it yourself, you don't need a webmaster. It will host pretty much anything, text, images, videos that you will need. It doesn't have a ton of expansion but it has enough. It is a great place to begin.
Examples of My Platform and Product Sites
I also talk about a couple of my websites and my Facebook Group on Publishing as examples. Everyone should have some version of these.
• My How to Publish Your Book Facebook group. FB Groups are powerful and a great way to build a platform. Look at my group as an example.
• My blog, BruceTheBookGuy.com. You need some home online. I blog is a great way to start. I use Google Blogger Blogs a lot. They are free and super easy to put up. A lot of what I talk about is being tested on my blogs. Blogs are a great place to try all kinds of things because you usually don't need a webmaster to do stuff. Sometimes webmasters can block the nutty ideas that you want to try. Again this is idea sketching, http://brucethebookguy.blogspot.com/
• One of my main marketing ideas is to wrap ads that you create around your own content that is sitting on your own blog or website. Let the power of Google work for you and bring interested visitors to your site. Once they are there, give them a clear path to buy your stuff. I have been using this idea for decades to sell my stuff online. One of my best examples is my site AcousticMusicTV. com. From this site, I sell my music books and posters. http://www.acousticmusictv.com/
• Google Analytics. I will talk about web stats. Stats are super important to building your products. If you don't have Google analytics on your website make it one of the first things you do. If you have a Gmail account you actually have a Google Analytics account, they are free. Many blogs also have a stats package attached, Blogger does. Get yours connected.
Ok, there you go. Give me a call and we can talk about your project. 781-492-0742 or reach out to me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jbruce.jones
Angela DeYoung_Testimonial about Working with J. Bruce Jones on Creating Books from Bruce Jones on Vimeo.
I have a very active group on Facebook for author of all kinds around publishing your book. Come over and join us, https://www.facebook.com/groups/HowToPublishYourBook/